The ABQ School of Massage Therapy is excited to present courses that are designed to further your development and awareness as a health care practitioner. Continuing education helps expand your skills through hands-on guidance, build relationships with other health care providers, create love and longevity of your career, and encourages your desire to acquire new knowledge and techniques.
2014 Continuing Education Courses
24 Continuing Education Credits $425.00 + tax – Registration link
August 29-31, 2014 – Fri, Sat, Sun – 8:30 am to 5:30 pm
- Understand cancer and lymphedema
- Learn contraindications and specific support
- Hands-on training
- Understand cancer treatments and their effects
- Learn what every massage therapist should know about cancer and massage!
- Work with real clients affected by cancer
E.T.H.I.C.S. – Engaging, Thought-Provoking, Honesty, Integrity, Confidentiality, Scope of Practice
- August 25 (Monday), 5:30 to 9:30 pm – 4 CE Hours – $60.00 + tax
- September 13 (Saturday), 9 am to 1 pm – 4 CE Hours – $60.00 + tax
- October 10 (Friday), 5:30 to 9:30 pm – 4 CE Hours – $60.00 + tax
- October 11 (Saturday), 9 am to 1 pm – 4 CE Hours – $60.00 + tax
- October 24 (Friday), 5:30 to 9:30 pm – 4 CE Hours – $60.00 + tax
This is not your ordinary ethics class!! We’ll tackle the challenges massage therapists face when aiming to practice massage in an ethically-challenged world. Gear up for an engaging four hour class filled with laughter, tears and ethical dilemmas with your colleagues.
MAC 202 – Principles and Practice of Massage on Athletes – 15 Hours
- September 10, 17, 24 (Wednesdays), 8 am to 1 pm – 15 CE Hours – $275.00 + tax
This advanced technique course teaches core techniques and procedures of massage on the active population in order to facilitate recovery, improve function, and/or performance. We will examine the most current information on soft tissue dysfunction, and the assessment skills necessary to discern treatment options. Students will learn to achieve optimal outcomes by adjusting depth of pressure, drag, duration, frequency, direction, speed, and rhythm in all massage applications.
MAC 203 – Current Concepts of Athletic Massage Therapy Application – 20 Hours
- October 1, 8, 15, 22 (Wednesdays), 8 am to 1 pm – 20 CE Hours – $350.00 + tax
This advanced technique course teaches the sports massage therapist to integrate the knowledge of the phases of healing into treatment goals and plans that will support athletes through competition. The students will learn how to manage the most common sports injuries through current concepts and appropriate applications of massage therapy that include myofascial, neuromuscular and lymphatic techniques.
MAC 204 – Athletic Massage Therapy Assessment – 20 Hours
- Oct 29, Nov 5, 12, 19 (Wednesdays), 9 am to 2 pm – 20 CE Hours – $350.00 + tax
Students will learn to master assessment of athletic injuries through a complete and thorough clinical reasoning process. This course will deepen the knowledge of the sports massage therapist’s athletic massage therapy assessment by way of the H.O.P.S. Method. The students will learn how to formulate a clinical impression of an athlete’s condition by interpreting the signs, symptoms, and predisposing factors of the injury, illness, or condition to determine the appropriate course of action.
MAC 205 – Sports Injury Treatment and Rehabilitation – 15 Hours
- December 3, 12, 19 (Wednesdays), 9 am to 2 pm – 15 CE Hours – $275.00 + tax
This course will allow students to examine the indications and contraindications of hydrotherapy, cryotherapy, contrast therapy, thermotherapy, and other modalities included in an athlete’s treatment and rehabilitation. Students will be introduced to various surgical interventions and medications utilized in sports injury treatment. This course will allow students to create and perform appropriate massage interventions that support athletic training and surgical interventions.